6 Tips to Lower Home Costs
A Quick Look at Your Home Budget to See If We Can’t Do a Better Job of Staying on Top of the Costs
These days, most people are trying to control their expenses a little more tightly. Often they don’t realize how much they’re paying to live in their homes. So let’s take a look at that home budget and see if we can’t do a better job of staying on top of the costs.
- Your largest expense is probably your mortgage. These days, Austin mortgage rates are historically low, so you might be able to refinance and lower your monthly payment. Email Leaman Team (Team@MaxLeaman.com) or call (800) 301-3405 and we’d be happy to let you know if that makes sense.
- Another major expense is likely to be your homeowner’s insurance. Check in with your agent once a year to see if you’re getting the right coverage at the best price.
- Next, look at your real estate taxes. The higher the assessed value of your property, the higher your real estate taxes. So, the next time Austin, TX does a reassessment, don’t be afraid to ask for an abatement if you think they’ve given your home too high a value. Do your homework. Look up the assessments for similar homes in your neighborhood. The records are public and usually available at the tax assessor’s office.
- Recurring monthly expenses:
- If you pay for town water, town sewer or a homeowners’ association, those are probably fixed expenses you can’t cut.
- But if you pay for private trash collection, snow removal, lawn and gardening services, periodically look around for cheaper rates. Even if you’re happy with your current supplier, this information could help you get a better deal.
- Phone, internet and cable TV services should be reviewed at least once a year to see if competitors offer better prices.
- Energy costs. Oil companies should be reviewed once a year, before heating season begins. And if you think oil may be going up, pick a supplier who will lock in the price. In a growing number of areas, you can also find competing electric companies. Find out who has the best deal. If you heat and air condition with gas, ask your local gas company about special offers.
Your home is your biggest investment. But with a little effort you can make your home costs smaller.
Leaman Team wants to make sure your questions are answered. Please call Leaman Team today to discuss your home financing: (800) 301-3405 or email Team@MaxLeaman.com.