Austin Energy Audit Ordinance
Quick Facts About Austin’s Mandatory Energy Audits
- Takes effect June 1, 2009 (applies to any deed that transfers on or after this date)
- Seller must disclose to a prospective buyer the results of an energy audit of the home at the same time the seller makes the other disclosures required under Texas law
- Applies to most single family residences (four units or less) that receive electricity from Austin Electric Utility
Who does the ordinance apply to?
Any property that meets the following criteria must be audited before it is sold:
- The house must be ten years or older
- Receives electricity from Austin Energy and is within the Austin city limits
What will the Audit cover?
- Duct blasting (measures air leakage in ducting)
- Attic insulation depth and R-value
- Efficiency of heating and cooling equipment
- Presence of solar screens and other energy efficiency measures
Who is qualified to do Audits?
- Auditors must hold Certification through RESNET or BPI (Building Performance Institute)
- Auditors must be registered with Austin Energy
What will the Audit cost?
- The cost of the audit starts around $275 for homes under 2,000 sq. ft.
The Leaman Team continually monitors mortgage rates. For clients interested in a new home purchase or refinance, the team alerts them of interest rate changes so they are ready at the best time to lock in a new rate. The Leaman Team wants to make sure your questions are answered. Please call The Leaman Team today to discuss your home financing: (800) 301-3405 or email Team@MaxLeaman.com.